15 May 2011

Farmer's Market Visit

Isaac and I made our first visit of the season to the Hyde Park Farmer's Market.  This is the market where we will pick-up our CSA baskets from Hazelfield Farm, starting next week.

Top Chef was filming their 2011 Tour at the market today; there was a line all they way out to the sidewalk with people waiting to get into the filming tent.  Since we are not big Top Chef viewers (I have no idea who any of the contestants are), Isaac and I made the rounds, visiting some of our favorite tents at the market.  The season is still young, so there was not a ton of fresh produce yet, but we were able to pick-up some fresh asparagus, shitake mushrooms, eggs and a whole small chicken.

The eggs came from B & D Goats.  As the name states, they also have a handful of goats and the milk is used to make soaps and lotions.  Isaac and I talked to the owner, whom we have become friendly with over the past few years, and found out they just had a new goat born just recently.  We mentioned that we are interested in visiting their farm as we are thinking about raising dairy goats in the future.  She welcomed us to the farm whenever we wanted to come.  Hopefully I will have more to report on that soon.

The chicken came from Eaton Farm.  We have purchased many chickens from them in the past and are happy with the quality. We know that the chickens have good, healthy lives before they are processed for consumption.  Of course, the chickens are smaller than those you find at the supermarket, but that is because they are not fed any hormones and are allowed to roam free-getting more exercise than those who are confined to a small pen. A small whole chicken is enough for a meal and we use the carcass for stock.

The mushrooms and asparagus came from Sheltowee Farm.  They cultivate all the mushrooms they sell. Check out their website, there are lots of pictures of their process, it's pretty cool.

We also stopped at the La Terza Coffee booth.  Isaac had a dark roast drip coffee and I had a latte.  I didn't have a chance to take a photo until I was finished. It was very good, I think the fact that the beans are locally and freshly roasted certainly helps. I'm not a coffee connoisseur but I actually prefer La Terza to Starbucks.  The taste is much more nuanced and flavorful than Starbucks, which I find to be a overpowering (burnt tasting) at times.  Their store and roasting facility is actually not that far from our house, so when I get a creamy latte craving, I will try to make the effort and go to La Terza rather than the 'Bux.
All Gone! :(

I was FINALLY able to do some cooking in the kitchen.  Everything is not back where it belongs, but I wanted to make Isaac some food to take back with him.
In progress

 Herbed Egg casserole with spinach, onions, asparagus.


Lasagne with herb-y ricotta, home-made red sauce, and fresh mozzarella
(It rained [again!] today so the lighting in the house is not optimal for food pictures, but you get the idea)

The spinach, asparagus, herbs (oregano, thyme, sage, parsley) came from either a farm or our yard. I'm hoping someday that the cheese will be home-made too!
There was some steamed asparagus left over so we had it as a snack. They were so good, we ate them plain.

1 comment:

fhbjones said...

Hey Lizzy. Do you have suggestions/comments for people like me with many mouths to feed on a small budget? Obviously, anything we can grow in our own yard is awesome but any tips you may have on where to shop or how to stretch a particular item (like using the chicken carcass) would be very helpful. I'm loving your blog!