30 May 2011

First CSA pick-up

After a two week delay due to the wet and cool weather, we were able to pick-up our first CSA basket at the Hyde Park Farmer's Market yesterday.

Included in this week's pick-up: Three different lettuces (buttercrunch, romaine, and red leaf); Green Onions, Broccoli, oregano, mint, radishes, garlic scapes and swiss chard. I wanted to weigh everything, but I couldn't find the kitchen scale as the kitchen is still not all the way put back together. I will start doing that next week, Isaac found it after I had used some of the veggies.
I made a giant salad last night to eat through the week with some of the lettuce Isaac brought home from the farm, the buttercrunch lettuce here, radishes and green onions. I will add walnuts, Craisins and chopped garlic scapes when we are ready to eat it.
 This is what the scape looks like on one of our garlic plants. They grow on the hard-neck varieties of garlic. This will be the bloom and eventually seed of the plant if left on. They taste like garlic but much milder. You can leave the scape on if you want to save the seed, but removing it to eat will allow the plants energy to focus on growing a larger bulb. Here is more information!
I make my own salad dressing with lemon juice, olive oil, a crushed and chopped garlic clove, dijon mustard, honey, thyme and oregano and salt to taste. I make it in a mason jar and shake it until it is nice and emulsified.
Most of this CSA will be devoted to many salads which is fine with me because I don't think I will ever tire of eating salads. Now, cooked greens I can make me a little weary after a while, so I'm making Kale chips to share with family today.  We have Tuscan Kale growing in our garden and Isaac brought home a curly variety from the farm.

I think I mentioned making Kale chips before. Isaac's sister turned me on to them. I highly recommend them to people who aren't sure if they like greens or are tired of cooking them the same way all the time.  Try seasoning them with different spices. I'm making batches with salt, black pepper, and hot Hungarian paprika. Here is the recipe I'm using today.
 Finished, with many more batches to go.

I am also making an asparagus salad with asparagus from the farm, green onions and radishes.  It will be kind of like the recipe here, minus the mushrooms.
I hope everyone is having a pleasant Memorial Day! We are thankful to all of those who have sacrificed their lives for our country. I am happy that I get Isaac one extra day this week.


No comments: