13 June 2011

CSA Week 3

We had a busy weekend so this is the first chance I have to do our weekly CSA update.  It still looks like spring in the CSA share: two heads of lettuce; one red, one romaine; three small heads of broccoli, a large bag of those peas that I am loving, green onions, carrots, fennel (yum!) and apple mint (super yum).


We also get a share from Smaller Footprint, but I didn't take a photo of that for the week. It is pretty similar except for the addition of radishes, swiss chard, and strawberries!
I went to the farm on Friday and helped out for the day.  One of the tasks was to pick strawberries for CSA shares.  After competing with spiky thistle, very tall grass and one angry bird squawking at us the whole time, we got to take home some literal fruits of our labor.  Tart and sweet. They didn't last long enough for me to consider what to do with them. We just ate them as is.

I made a frittata with spinach, garlic scapes, green onions and feta cheese last week.  Fritattas are easy to make and easy to take to work for lunch.  I'm planning on making another one tomorrow morning using the broccoli, onions, scapes and swiss chard.  I don't use a recipe, I just cook the vegetables first, remove from the pan, add the eggs (about 6) whipped with a little bit of cream to the pan, let them set in the pan and then add the cooked veggies and cheese.  Put under the broiler for a few minutes until set. I'll try to take a photo of my creation tomorrow. Here is an inspiring recipe for those who would rather have one. 
I haven't forgotten about the fava beans! I will make something with them soon.

Isaac and I are in the process of looking for our own little piece of land; 6-12 acres to be exact.  If anyone has any leads, or has a friend of a friend etc., please let us know!

No comments: