24 January 2010

Yearning for Spring

As I mentioned in my last post, this Winter-especially January has been devoid of color and sun.  I'm yearning to see the little seedlings poking through the ground with promise of grand color and beauty in the Spring and Summer.  I planted some white Anemones and pink Alliums in addition to the traditional Daffodils and Tulips that all should be the first thing to bloom in our garden in late winter and early spring.  Since I can't enjoy them right now, I've been looking at catalogs for more spring bulbs to perhaps purchase for the next year. Here is what I've found most intriguing.

Anemone Lord Lieutenant
I love the color and the fact that the bloom time is in February-my birthday month and is amethyst in color-my birthstone. It would be like a little birthday present to myself!



How about some heirloom tulips? Yes, please!
 DUC VAN TOL ROSE, 1700
These only grow 6 inches tall, but would be great as a small colorful accent in a bed with taller plants blooming at the same time.
Or maybe mixed with some crocus?  NEGRO BOY, 1910
This unfortunately named Crocus is a wonderful deep indigo and would highlight the lovely pink in the small tulip.


This double tulip is very nice as well.  I really like flowers with many petals and have a different look than what a "traditional" tulip looks like. PEACH BLOSSOM, 1890

Another beautiful late winter addition to the garden are Lenten roses or hellebores.  Many of the colors have a "vintage" color to them-with muted pinks, creams, greens and purples.
 


I think that these would make lovely pressed flowers for cards or for framing like a botanical print. 

I can't wait for Spring so I can take pictures and document everything!


No comments: